June 10, 2008

There are no Squirrels in Florence

It's true. And coming from College Station, where squirrels practically outnumber the students, I am surprised it took me this long to notice!

How's everybody doing?! I am great; today was a monumental day for me. Actually the last two days have been good, but I'll get to yesterday in a minute. Today two significant things happened. The first was getting on a first name basis with Marbola, the sweetest little barista in the News Café, where I get my cappuccino and croissant every morning. Every day for the last few weeks we have smiled animatedly, said ciao to each other, asked how the other was (in Italian of course) and exchanged coffee and cash. And that was great, but I really wanted to talk to her and get to know her, she seemed so sweet. So last week I began attempting to chat with her. Unfortunately I would get so intimidated that my Italian failed me and I couldn't say more than three words before I resorted to a pathetic "uuhh...*Smile and shrug*". She was really sweet and helped me say what I was trying to say but it was emotionally exhausting for me and our conversations were never more than two sentences long. But today I decided to try again- perseverance!- and I asked her name. That kicked off a good little chat about my name, our ages and why I was here. So it was a lot better, and I think I made a good friend. I'll keep you updated, hopefully my Italian will get better and we can talk more!

The second monumental occurrence of the day actually happened about five minutes after my conversation with Marbola. Today I felt my first surge of pride for my little neighborhood. While I was enjoying my cappuccino, a group of tourists walked by, heading towards the leather market. While they were passing my table I heard their leader say rather loudly, "Now watch your purses and your pockets! Do you have locks on that backpack!? Keep everything close now!". This made me angry! How dare he accuse my sweet little neighborhood with my sweet little Italian neighbors of being thieves. If they were walking past the Duomo sure, but in my neighborhood?!?! No way. Ok sure, there are some creepers in the leather market, but the worst one is the guy who calls out terrible pickup lines every time you pass by. My personal favorite is the " Wait Bella, you've dropped something... (I keep walking)...Bella, Bella, you've dropped my heart!" But I have even come to find that guy endearing. So please Mr. Guide, if you're going to accuse a part of town of being sketchy, I suggest you look elsewhere!


Yesterday was, like I said, another great day! I skipped class with a few of my roommates because it was one of the first pretty days we have had in Florence. I don't think I have mentioned it yet in my blog but Italy is experiencing its rainiest summer in 2 CENTURIES! CENTURIES! Are you kidding me, I chose the ONE rainy summer out of 200 gorgeous ones....ha! The Italians are in an uproar about it too. It has been kind of frustrating actually because Florence isn't as pretty when the skies are gray and rainy. Not to mention I have no desire to sit and read in a garden or walk around a museum when it’s cold. So when we woke up and it was gorgeous outside we just couldn't help it! Don't worry- we get two free absences and I haven’t skipped class yet, nor do I plan on doing it again so I promise it wasn't a big deal :)! We decided to go the Boboli Gardens and enjoy the sun and warm weather. The Boboli Gardens is located on the southern side of Florence (also the more residential and less touristy part of town). It is a gorgeous and huge plot of land divided by geometrically shaped hedges, beautiful fountains, and big spacious lawns. It sits right behind the Piti Palace and use to be a private oasis for the Medici's, an incredibly wealthy royal family in Florence way back when. We brought some books to read and a blanket and just lounged and chatted. It was probably one of the best mornings yet!

So I really can't complain about this week! It has been amazing! Last week was probably my most difficult as far as homesickness goes. I suppose that makes sense. I had been here for three weeks and I was looking ahead at 6 more. A bunch of the kids I have been hanging out with on a daily basis (including Emma and Lee) are only here for the first 5 week term, so everyone was talking about what they were going to do when they got home in two weeks. It was really hard to listen to the food they were going to eat, people they were going to see and things they were going to do knowing I had another month and half before I got back to any of the things I was missing. So there were a few low points. I am convinced the rain didn't help. But this week I am better; the sun is shining and I am making some progress in my goals. The same kids are even telling me how lucky I am that I get to stay longer, and I am beginning to agree with them. Not to mention the huge bonus that Mom, Maw maw and Pawpaw will be here next week!!! We have been planning a ten-day trip for the time in-between my class sessions and it has really been helping with my homesickness! I am really looking forward to having them up, though I wish all of you could come. I am convinced this trip would be better if everyone I loved were here, though I know I wouldn't be growing so much if they all were.

This post is getting long so I am going to say Buona Sera, and leave you for now. But I will write back soon about my trip last weekend to Venice and Verona! I hope you all have a great day!!

Love,
Mary K

1 comment:

Catharine said...

huh... i´m not sure i´ve seen any squirrels in nicaragua, either. perhaps squirrels are mother earth´s revenge on america for ruining her natural resources?